Very little is known about the potential effects of an overdose with xylitol. An overdose is likely to cause diarrhea or gas, the usual side effects of the product. Very high doses given by IV have also been reported to cause high acid and uric acid levels in the blood. Treatment for an overdose (if necessary) may involve certain medications or supportive care.
Xylitol is a naturally occurring sugar substitute. It is not known exactly what to expect with an overdose (or if a xylitol overdose is even possible), although the effects of an overdose will likely vary, depending on the xylitol dosage, as well as other factors (such as if xylitol was taken with any other supplements, drugs, or substances).
If you happen to take too much, seek immediate medical attention.
Very little is known about the possible effects of taking too much xylitol. Of course, an overdose of xylitol would be likely to cause any of the usual xylitol side effects, especially diarrhea or gas. Very high doses of xylitol given by IV have been reported to cause high uric acid levels in the blood (which could increase the risk of kidney stones), changes in liver function tests (which could indicate stress to the liver), and high acid levels in the blood. There problems are not predicted to occur for other routes of xylitol use, such as in gum or candy.
Extremely high doses of xylitol given to laboratory animals for extended periods of time may increase the risk of tumor growth. This has not been shown to be the case in humans and is not predicted to be a problem, unless extremely high doses are taken for quite awhile.
It should be noted that even small doses of xylitol can be lethal for dogs, as they react differently to this product than humans do.