When and How to Take XenicalGeneral considerations for when and how to take this medication include the following:
- It comes in capsule form. It is taken by mouth with each fat-containing meal, up to three times per day.
- If you miss a meal, or if you have a meal without any fat, you should skip the dose of Xenical.
- The medication should be combined with a reduced-calorie, low-fat diet. Eating too much fat increases the risk of side effects. In general, you should try to limit your fat intake to less than 30 percent of your total daily calories.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
Dosing InformationThere is only one recommended dose, regardless of your age, weight, or other medications or medical conditions.
(Click Xenical Dosage for more information.)
Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
Common side effects include, but are not limited to:
- Oily spotting (uncontrolled anal seepage of oil)
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Urgent need to have a bowel movement
- Gas with discharge (of either oil or stool).
(Click Xenical Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects that you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)