Everyone takes the same dose of Xenical, regardless of weight, age, or if other medical conditions are present. What's important is to take the drug as directed by your healthcare provider. For example, you will probably be advised to take your dosage with each fat-containing meal (up to three times daily) and to skip it if you eat a meal that doesn't contain any fat.
An Introduction to Dosing With XenicalThere is only one standard dose of Xenical® (orlistat), regardless of your age, weight, or other medical conditions. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Xenical Dosage for Weight Loss
The recommended dose of Xenical for weight loss or weight maintenance in adults and children age 12 and older is Xenical 120 mg (one capsule) with each meal that contains fat, up to three times daily. It is best if you take Xenical with the meal, but you can take it up to an hour after the meal, if necessary (taking it later than one hour after the meal will make it less effective).
If you skip a meal, or if you eat a meal without fat, you should also skip your Xenical dosage. The medication is not meant to be used alone; it should always be used with an appropriate diet plan.
Xenical can decrease the absorption of certain vitamins from the diet. Therefore, it is recommended that you take a multivitamin once a day, at least two hours before or after Xenical. Often, bedtime is a good time for many people to take their multivitamin during treatment with Xenical.
General Information on Taking XenicalConsiderations to keep in mind during treatment with Xenical include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form. It is taken by mouth with each fat-containing meal, up to three times per day.
- Xenical should be combined with a reduced-calorie, low-fat diet. Eating too much fat increases the risk of Xenical side effects. In general, you should try to limit your fat intake to less than 30 percent of your total daily calories.
- If you miss a meal, or if you have a meal without any fat, you should skip that dose of Xenical.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as directed by your healthcare provider.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Xenical dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.