The recommended Tenuate dosage for the short-acting tablets is 25 mg three times a day, taken one hour before meals. For long-acting tablets, the recommended dose is 75 mg once daily, taken in the mid-morning. Do not take a higher Tenuate dose than your healthcare provider prescribes or for longer than a few weeks, as this could lead to addiction or dependence.
The dose of Tenuate® (diethylpropion hydrochloride) that your healthcare provider prescribes will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Whether you are taking short-acting or long-acting Tenuate tablets
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Tenuate Dosage for Weight LossFor short-acting tablets, the recommended dose of Tenuate for weight loss is 25 mg three times daily, taken one hour before meals. If necessary, your healthcare provider may recommend taking an additional evening dose to help control nighttime hunger. For long-acting tablets, the recommended dose is 75 mg (one extended-release tablet), taken once a day in mid-morning.
Tenuate is intended for short-term use only (just a few weeks). Longer use is unlikely to be effective, since the body adjusts to the appetite-suppressing properties of the drug. Also, the medication has the potential to be abused (which is another reason why Tenuate use should be limited to just a few weeks).
Considerations for people taking Tenuate include the following:
- The medication comes in short-acting and long-acting tablet forms. The short-acting tablets are taken three times a day, one hour before meals, while the long-acting tablets are taken just once a day in the mid-morning.
- The long-acting tablets must be swallowed whole; do not break, chew, or crush them.
- Tenuate should be combined with an appropriate diet. It is not meant to be used without dieting.
- Do not take Tenuate more often or at higher doses than prescribed, as this can lead to addiction or dependence.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Tenuate dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.