Taking an overdose of Suprenza (orally disintegrating phentermine) could result in problems like a rapid heartbeat, vomiting, and seizures. These initial overdose symptoms may occur due to the stimulant effects of Suprenza; after these effects have worn off, problems like depression and fatigue may occur. Treatment may include supportive care and reducing the amount of the medicine absorbed into the bloodstream.
Can You Use Too Much Suprenza?Suprenza™ (orally disintegrating phentermine) is a prescription medication approved to help with weight loss in people who are overweight. It works by suppressing the appetite.
As with most medications, it is possible to use too much Suprenza. The specific effects of an overdose would likely vary, however, depending on a number of factors, including the Suprenza dosage and whether it was combined with any other medications or substances.
- Fast breathing
- Assaultive behavior
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that aren't really there)
- A rapid heartbeat
- An abnormal heartbeat (arrhythmia)
- Low or high blood pressure
- Abdominal (stomach) cramps
Many of the initial overdose symptoms occur because Suprenza is a stimulant. After the stimulant effects have subsided, depression and fatigue may occur.
Treatment Options for a Suprenza OverdoseTreatment for a Suprenza overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication absorbed into the bloodstream.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment for a Suprenza overdose may include:
- A barbiturate, such as phenobarbital (Luminal®), for sedation
- Medications to decrease the heart rate and blood pressure.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken a Suprenza overdose.