Phentermine Drug Interactions
A number of medications may potentially interact with phentermine. Drug interactions may occur if the weight-loss medication is taken together with tricyclic antidepressants, diabetes drugs, tromethamine, or monoamine oxidase inhibitors. Negative drug interactions with phentermine could increase the level of phentermine in your blood, which increases your risk for serious side effects.
Phentermine can potentially interact with a few other medicines. Some of these medicines that may lead to phentermine interactions include:
- Diabetes medications, especially insulin
- Guanethidine (Ismelin®)
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs, for short), including:
- Other weight-loss medications
- Sodium bicarbonate medications (not including normal use in food products)
- Topiramate (Qsymia™, Topamax®)
- Tricyclic antidepressants, including:
- Tromethamine (THAM®).