Obesity Help Through Weight Loss ProgramsExperts agree that the best way to lose weight is to follow a sensible eating plan and engage in regular physical activity. If you're interested in a weight loss program, it should encourage healthy behaviors that can help you lose weight and maintain that weight loss over time.
There are two different types of weight loss programs: clinical and nonclinical. Understanding what a good program can offer and what to watch out for may help you choose a program that will work for you. Safe and effective programs for weight loss should include these components:
- Healthy eating plans that reduce calories but do not rule out specific foods or food groups
- Regular physical activity and/or exercise instruction
- Tips on healthy behavioral changes that also consider your cultural needs
- Slow and steady weight loss of about ¾ to 2 pounds per week and not more than 3 pounds per week (weight loss may be faster at the start of a program)
- Medical care if you are planning to lose weight by following a special formula diet, such as a low-calorie diet
- A plan to keep the weight off after you have lost it.