Side Effects of Ma Huang
Ma huang is 100 times more likely to cause side effects, compared to other herbal products. Because ma huang contains stimulants, possible side effects may include insomnia, shakiness, and nausea. However, ma huang was banned in the United States due to its potentially dangerous side effects, such as chest pain, seizures, and strokes. If you experience any of these side effects of ma huang, you should contact your healthcare provider right away.
Does Ma Huang Cause Side Effects?Ma huang (also known as ephedra) was a popular ingredient in weight loss products. However, it has been banned in the United States because it can cause very dangerous side effects. Even though ma huang is a "natural" product, it can still cause side effects. In fact, ma huang is 100 times more likely to cause side effects, compared to other herbal products.
Serious Side Effects of Ma HuangThere are a number of side effects with ma huang that you should report to your healthcare provider. These include, but are not limited to:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (known as heart palpitations)
- Chest pain or any other signs of a heart attack
- Blurred vision, one-sided weakness or paralysis, or any other signs of a stroke
- Bizarre behavior or thinking
- Severe muscle pain
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including an unexplained rash, hives, itching, unexplained swelling, wheezing, or difficulty breathing or swallowing.
Common Side Effects of Ma HuangAs a stimulant, ma huang can cause any of the typical stimulant side effects. These common ma huang side effects may include:
- Insomnia (see Ephedra and Insomnia)
- Nausea or vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling warm.