Drug Interactions With Ma Huang
Taking certain medications with ma huang may potentially cause negative interactions. Some of these drug interactions with ma huang may result in very dangerous side effects, such as an irregular heart rhythm. Some of the medications that may interact with ma huang include decongestants, diabetes medicines, and any other stimulants (such as caffeine and many other weight loss pills).
An Introduction to Drug Interactions With Ma HuangMa huang (ephedra) can potentially interact with a few medicines. Some of these medicines that may lead to ma huang interactions include:
- Any other stimulants, including caffeine, cocaine, amphetamines, and many other weight loss products
- Decongestants, such as pseudoephedrine (Sudafed®)
- Diabetes medications
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), including:
- QT-prolonging medications (medications that increase the risk of a dangerous irregular heart rhythm known as QT prolongation)
- Seizure medications
- Theophylline (Uniphyl®, Theocron®, TheoCap®, Theo-24®, Elixophyllin®).
It is important to note that ma huang is banned in the United States. It is not considered to be safe when used alone or in combination with other supplements or medications.