Weight Loss Home > Chromium Picolinate
Chromium picolinate is claimed to be useful for various purposes, such as to lower blood sugar in people who have type 2 diabetes, to aid in weight loss, and to treat polycystic ovarian syndrome. However, there is insufficient evidence supporting these claims. It has been suggested that chromium picolinate may work by increasing the body's sensitivity to insulin. Possible side effects include insomnia, weight gain, and headaches.
What Is Chromium Picolinate?Chromium is a metallic mineral that is often used in multivitamins and other supplements. Chromium picolinate is a special form of chromium that is supposedly more easily absorbed into the body, although there is little evidence to support this claim. In addition to small amounts in multivitamins, chromium picolinate is claimed to be helpful for a variety of purposes, such as to:
- Lower blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes
- Increase blood sugar in people with hypoglycemia
- Aid in weight loss
- Help in athletic training (such as for body building)
- Treat polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Help with depression or other mood disorders.