Chromium Picolinate Side Effects
When chromium picolinate is taken in low doses, it is usually well tolerated. Side effects of chromium picolinate tend to be more likely to occur when higher doses are taken. Headaches, insomnia, and diarrhea are some of the common side effects. If you experience any serious side effects, such as blood in the stool, problems concentrating, or seizures, let your healthcare provider know immediately.
Does Chromium Picolinate Cause Side Effects?As with any medication or supplement, side effects are possible with chromium picolinate. At low doses (such as those found in typical multivitamins), chromium picolinate usually is tolerated quite well. However, higher doses (such as those found in chromium picolinate supplements) may be more likely to cause side effects.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with chromium picolinate. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of chromium picolinate side effects with you.)
Possible Side Effects of Chromium PicolinateSome of the possible bothersome (although not usually serious) side effects of chromium picolinate may include:
Side Effects to ReportThere are a number of chromium picolinate side effects that you should report to your healthcare provider. These include, but are not limited to:
- Blood in the stool or vomiting blood
- Problems thinking or concentrating
- Signs of kidney damage, such as increased or decreased urine production (unrelated to fluid intake)
- Signs of liver problems, such as dark urine, yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin (jaundice), or upper right abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as a rash, hives, itching, swelling of the mouth or throat, wheezing, or difficulty breathing.