Your Bontril dosage is based on factors such as how you respond to Bontril, the product used, and other medications you are taking. The recommended starting dose is Bontril SR 105 mg once daily (taken 30 to 60 minutes before breakfast) or Bontril PDM 35 mg two to three times daily (taken one hour before meals). Bontril dosing is appropriate for short-term use only.
Bontril Dosage: An IntroductionThe dose of Bontril® (phendimetrazine tartrate) that your healthcare provider prescribes will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The particular Bontril product
- Whether you develop bothersome or dangerous Bontril side effects
- How you respond to the drug
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Bontril Dosage for Weight LossThe recommended dose of Bontril SR for weight loss is Bontril SR 105 mg once daily, taken 30 to 60 minutes before breakfast. For Bontril PDM tablets, the recommended dose is Bontril PDM 35 mg two or three times daily, taken one hour before meals. The maximum dose of Bontril PDM is 70 mg three times daily.
Bontril is intended for short-term use only (for just a few weeks). Longer use is unlikely to be effective, as the body adjusts to the appetite-suppressing properties of Bontril. Also, the drug has the potential to be abused (which is another reason why use should be limited to just a few weeks).
General Information on Dosing With BontrilConsiderations for people taking Bontril include the following:
- The medication comes in the form of a short-acting tablet or a long-acting capsule. The capsules are taken once daily, while the tablets are taken two or three times a day.
- Bontril SR capsules should be taken 30 to 60 minutes before breakfast. Bontril PDM tablets should be taken one hour before meals.
- Bontril should be combined with an appropriate diet. It is not meant to be used without dieting.
- Bontril PDM tablets may be split in half, but Bontril SR capsules should not be opened, chewed, or crushed.
- Do not take Bontril more often or in higher doses than prescribed, as this can lead to addiction or dependence.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Bontril dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.