Everyone takes the same Alli dosage, regardless of age, weight, or other contributing factors. The drug works by limiting the amount of fat that is absorbed from the diet, so for the best results, you should eat a reduced-calorie, low-fat diet while taking the drug. In addition, to minimize side effects, it's best to carefully follow the Alli dosing guidelines that come with the package.
Alli Dosage: An IntroductionThere is only one standard dose of Alli™ (orlistat), regardless of your weight, age, or other medical conditions. As is always the case, do not adjust your Alli dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Alli Dosage for Weight LossThe recommended dose of Alli for weight loss is Alli 60 mg (one capsule) taken with each meal that contains fat, up to three times daily. It is best if you take Alli with the meal, but you can take it up to an hour after the meal, if necessary (taking it later will make it less effective). If you skip a meal or eat a meal without fat, you should skip your Alli dose. The medication is not meant to be used alone; it should always be used with an appropriate diet plan.
Alli can decrease the absorption of certain vitamins from the diet. Therefore, it is recommended that you take a multivitamin once a day at bedtime while you take Alli. Do not take the vitamin at the same time of the day as your Alli dose.
General Information on Dosing With AlliConsiderations for people taking Alli include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form. It is taken by mouth with each fat-containing meal, up to three times per day.
- If you miss a meal, or if you have a meal without any fat, you should skip the dose of Alli.
- Alli should be combined with a reduced-calorie, low-fat diet. Eating too much fat increases the risk of Alli side effects. In general, you should try to limit your fat intake to less than 30 percent of your total daily calories.
- Each Alli starter pack comes with a code and instructions on how to sign up for myalliplan, an online tool designed to help you in your weight loss journey. This online tool contains a wealth of useful information and will actually tailor an individual weight loss plan for you. It can also help you track your progress.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as directed by the package instructions.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Alli dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.