The recommended Adipex dosage for weight loss is 37.5 mg once daily in the morning. Some people who are taking the tablet form may be able to take a lower dose, such as 18.75 mg (half a tablet). If you need more help controlling your appetite, your healthcare provider may change your Adipex dose to half a tablet twice a day.
The dose of Adipex-P® (phentermine) that your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to the drug
- The particular Adipex-P product
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Adipex-P dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended Adipex-P dose for weight loss is 37.5 mg once daily in the morning. Some people may be able to take a lower dose, such as Adipex-P 18.75 mg once daily (half a tablet). This lower strength cannot be obtained using the capsule form (since the capsules cannot be accurately split in two). Also, if necessary, your healthcare provider may recommend taking half of an Adipex-P tablet twice a day to control your appetite (although this increases the risk of insomnia).
Adipex-P is intended for short-term use only (for just a few weeks). Longer use is unlikely to be effective, since the body adjusts to the appetite-suppressing properties of Adipex-P. Also, the medicine has the potential to be abused (which is another reason why Adipex-P use should be limited to just a few weeks).
Considerations for people taking Adipex-P include the following:
- Adipex-P comes in tablet and capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth once daily, although some people may need to take it twice a day.
- Adipex-P should be taken either before breakfast or one to two hours after breakfast.
- Adipex-P should be combined with an appropriate diet. It is not meant to be used without dieting.
- Do not take Adipex-P more often (or at higher doses) than prescribed, as this can lead to Adipex-P addiction or dependence.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Adipex-P dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.