Adipex and Dry Mouth
In studies on the possible side effects of Adipex, dry mouth was a reported problem (although the exact percentage of people who experienced this side effect was not noted). If you are taking Adipex and dry mouth develops, you can try sipping water more often, avoiding tobacco or alcohol, and chewing sugarless gum. If needed, your healthcare provider can also recommend artificial saliva products.
Adipex-P® (phentermine) can cause a dry mouth, although the exact percentage of people who developed a dry mouth due to Adipex-P has not been reported.
For people taking Adipex-P, there are some things that you can do to help with a dry mouth. Some of these suggestions include:
- Don't use tobacco or alcohol, as they can dry out the mouth.
- Consider using a humidifier at night.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks often.
- Try to avoid drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and many sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier; it may also improve the taste of food.
- Be aware of spicy or salty foods because they may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.
It is important to understand that a dry mouth can be more than just uncomfortable or annoying; a severe or long-lasting dry mouth can actually cause dental problems.