If you take too much 5-HTP, you may develop a dangerous group of symptoms known as serotonin syndrome. This condition may cause hallucinations, difficulty walking, and muscle spasms. Treatment for a 5-HTP overdose will typically involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. If you think you have overdosed on 5-HTP, seek medical attention right away.
An Overview of 5-HTP Overdose5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) is a non-prescription supplement often used to help with weight loss, depression, and a number of other conditions. The effects of a 5-HTP overdose will vary depending on the 5-HTP dosage and other factors.
If you happen to overdose on 5-HTP, seek immediate medical attention.
Symptoms of a 5-HTP OverdoseIt is not known what exactly to expect from a 5-HTP overdose. However, because it is known that 5-HTP can increase serotonin levels, it is reasonable to expect that an overdose could cause a dangerous group of symptoms known as "serotonin syndrome." The symptoms of serotonin symptom include:
- A fast heartbeat (tachycardia)
- Feeling faint
- A fever
- Muscle spasms
- Difficulty walking
Treatment for a 5-HTP OverdoseIt is not known how best to treat a 5-HTP overdose. Therefore, treatment (if necessary) will typically involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For instance, if an overdose caused dehydration due to severe diarrhea, then supportive treatment would include administering fluids and electrolytes to treat the dehydration.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on 5-HTP.